Dovevot Authetication

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Mon May 26 17:21:19 PDT 2008

On 26May2008 19:23, Martin Krischik <krischik at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
| it's me again. My Dovecot now runs, I can start and stop without
| trouble. Thank you very much for your help.
|
| Now I have trouble with the authentication. I always get:
|
| - -----------------------------
|  >telnet macpro imap
| Trying 85.158.176.48...
| Connected to macpro.krischik.com.
| Escape character is '^]'.
| * OK Dovecot ready.
| 1 LOGIN martin xxxxx
| 1 NO Authentication failed.
| - -----------------------------
|
| And this with a plain text authentication used for testing:
|
| - -----------------------------
|    # passwd-like file with specified location
|    # <doc/wiki/AuthDatabase.PasswdFile.txt>
|    passdb passwd-file {
|      # Path for passwd-file
|      args = /opt/local/etc/dovecot/passwd.dovecot
|    }
| - -----------------------------
|
| Maybe someone spend to much time: it there a best practice for
| authentication on MacOS.

Hmm.

1: Are you in the passwd.dovecot file?
2: Dovecot has a lower limit on the uids it will make available.
   What is your uid? Is it below 1000? The limit is tunable, but when I ran
   into this a few years ago I seized the opportunity to obtain uid 11111
   instead:-)
3: MacOSX accounts aren't all in /etc/passwd. I expect that's all neatly
   hidden by the getpwnam() function or nothing would work, but maybe
   there is something Mac specific happening. Check out (1) and (2) above
   first though.

Disclaimer: I have not tried to use dovecot on MacOSX, and am not a
dovecot expert either.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Errors have occurred.