can't allocate region?

Michael Hernandez sequethin at gmail.com
Tue May 27 17:25:41 PDT 2008

On May 27, 2008, at 8:10 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On May 27, 2008, at 12:18, Michael Hernandez wrote:
>
>> I just ran port upgrade installed and after it upgraded pango I got
>> this:
>>
>> tclsh(39855,0xa0886fa0) malloc: *** mmap(size=2514944) failed (error
>> code=12)
>> *** error: can't allocate region
>> *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
>> unable to alloc 2514733 bytes
>> zsh: abort      sudo port upgrade installed
>>

>> What's going on there?
>
> I don't have a clue, but it might help someone see what's wrong if
> we knew what version of MacPorts, Xcode, and Mac OS X  you have, and
> on what kind of Mac.

I'm using macports 1.6, Xcode 3, OS X 10.5.2, on a MacBook Pro 2.4GHz
core 2 duo, 2GB RAM.

And as I write this I realize that my HD is also 100% full and that's
probably the cause of this. Sorry for the noise. That is a pretty ugly
error though, so it scared me. The malloc error made me think
something was wrong with my RAM.

--Mike H