Question about build dependencies

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Wed May 28 20:38:34 PDT 2008

Hello all --
I have what might seem to be a dumb question. I noticed today that the
MacPort named "libiconv" version 1.12 has a build dependency on another port
named gperf, specifically:

$ port deps libiconv

libiconv has build dependencies on:

gperf

What I find very interesting about this situation, however, is that on my
MacPorts system I have not consciously built / installed the gperf port. But
I have successfully built and installed the libiconv port. Therefore, I am
wondering, how is it possible that the libiconv port was able to build and
install without the gperf port dependency having first been built?

Thanks for shedding any light on this.

-T.M.