Apple did it again!

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu May 29 18:12:37 PDT 2008

On May 29, 2008, at 19:49, Alakazam wrote:

> On 30 mai 08, at 02:46, Rainer Müller wrote:
>
>> Cameron Simpson wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, I feel your pain - I have a similar issue on another platform
>>> with another vendor. But it's not the vendor's fault, nor their
>>> problem. You and I have hacked in the vendor's playground,
>>> and it's our problem to make those hacks persist.
>>
>> I think we all agree on this.
>>
>> But it is nice that John reported that a new upgrade from the vendor
>> requires manual action if you are using this 'hack'. Other users of
>> this 'hack' might appreciate it.
>
> I would like to suggest migrating John's initial summary to a Howto
> (and am ready to do so based on your work), if that seems appropriate.

The reason for the hack is to let System Preferences > Sharing > Web
Sharing control the MacPorts apache2 service instead of Apple's
apache, right?

I don't think I like that hack very much. Wouldn't it be better to
write up how to install a 3rd-party launchctl manager which you could
use to start and stop all MacPorts-supplied startup services?