Apple did it again!

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Thu May 29 19:35:17 PDT 2008

I'm not sure I understand what point you're trying to make.   If you
put anything in /usr outside of /usr/local, since the very first
release of MacOSX the rule has always been "you're living on borrowed
time and at your own risk" since Apple, like every other OS vendor on
the planet, reserves the right to update any files it shipped.  That
is why MacPorts installs into /opt instead of /usr.

- Jordan