Octave 3.0.1 plotting is very slow

Jerry lanceboyle at qwest.net
Thu May 29 21:41:25 PDT 2008

I noticed that plotting with the new Octave version 3.0.1 on Macports
is very slow compared to older versions of Octave, e.g. 2.1.71. In
the old Octave, small plots appear instantaneously, probably before
the Return key hits its stop. In Octave 3.0.1, there is a lag of
about a second--enough to be slightly annoying. On larger plots, the
problem gets much worse. Plotting a 100,000 point vector on old
Octave takes 3 seconds but on Octave 3.0.1 it takes 21 seconds.

I suppose this is something that I should take up with the Octave
people but I thought I'd tweak this list and the maintainer just in
case it is something obviously wrong with this particular version.

BTW, the first time or two that I tried to make a plot (simple, like
plot(x, y)) with the newly installed version of Octave from Macports,
it failed completely and emitted about 10 lines of Octave-related
errors. One or two restarts resulted in plots being made, but slowly,
as noted above.

Thanks,
Jerry