type S_REGULAR does not match previous objects type S_COALESCED

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Nov 2 15:46:05 PST 2008

On Nov 2, 2008, at 16:15, Anton van Oosten wrote:

> Op 23-okt-08, om 21:20 heeft Ryan Schmidt het volgende geschreven:
>
>> On Oct 23, 2008, at 14:13, Anton van Oosten wrote:
>>
>>> Op 21-okt-08, om 23:51 heeft Bryan Blackburn het volgende
>>> geschreven:

>>> Thanks, but this did not solve the issue.
>>> Could this be an inconsistency between libstdc++.a and gcc?
>>
>> It still tries to use /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.a even though that
>> file no longer exists? I was going to suggest that maybe one of
>> pdflib's dependencies had already been built with knowledge of
>> that library, but pdflib doesn't have any dependencies. Hmm. Maybe
>> we need to see the complete debug output. Run:
>>
>> sudo port clean pdflib
>> sudo port -d install pdflib 2>&1 | tee ~/Desktop/pdflib.txt
>>
>> Then send pdflib.txt from your Desktop.
>
> Here is the log file.

I didn't see the message "powerpc-apple-darwin8-g++-4.0.1: /usr/local/
lib/libstdc++.a: No such file or directory" in that output. I did see
other messages about things in /usr/local though, like:

/usr/bin/ld: warning -L: directory name (/usr/local/gcc/powerpc-apple-
darwin6.2/libstdc++-v3/src/.libs) does not exist
/usr/bin/ld: warning -L: directory name (:) does not exist
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.a(ostream-inst.o) section's
(__TEXT,__eh_frame) type S_REGULAR does not match previous objects
type S_COALESCED
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.a(ostream-inst.o) section's
(__TEXT,__eh_frame) type S_REGULAR does not match previous objects
type S_COALESCED

That "powerpc-apple-darwin6.2" bit is very suspicious; it indicates
it was built for Mac OS X 10.2 (Mac OS X 10.x == Darwin (x + 4))
which is very old.

What do you have in /usr/local at this time? Having things in /usr/
local often causes problems for MacPorts which is why we recommend
not having anything there when using MacPorts.

What version of Xcode do you have? Get info on /Developer/
Applications/Xcode.app to find out. If it's less than 2.4.1, please
update to either 2.4.1 or 2.5. Older versions have been known to
cause problems and are therefore not supported. Xcode can be
downloaded from Apple Developer Connection at http://
connect.apple.com/ .