Building GnuCash without X11

Olaf Foellinger olaf at foellinger.de
Tue Nov 4 10:34:31 PST 2008

Hi,

* Charles Day <cedayiv at gmail.com> [04.11.08 09:20]wrote:

>    Greetings,
>
>    I am one of the GnuCash developers, so I read with some excitement Olaf
>    Foellinger's report that he was able to build GnuCash without X11. If I

:). Besides, I'm on 10.4

>    can repeat his success and test it out, I hope that at some point we
>    might be able to begin offering GnuCash for Mac in native form.

Very good, that's been my intention, too.

>    However, I tried it myself without much luck. Perhaps someone could
>    advise.
>    I have a brand-new MacBook Pro now (10.5.5), on which I installed
>    MacPorts. I started with the following:
>    sudo port install dbus +no_x11
>    sudo port install cairo +no_x11
>    sudo port install pango +no_x11
>    sudo port install gtk2 +no_x11

Two prerequisites are missing:

- delete the line "depends_run port:evince" in the gnucash portfile
  (that deletes many complicated gnome dependencies, too)
- in aqbanking portfile replace the line
	--with-frontends="cbanking g2banking qbanking"
  with
  	--with-frontends="g2banking"
- for the installation of libgtkhtml3 i had to apply the patch
  https://trac.macports.org/ticket/16989
- during the installatin of slib-guile16 sometimes I had to call
	$ ${prefix}/share/guile/site
  manually.

>    sudo port install gnucash +without_hbci
>    The "+without_hbci" was just to remove a few dependencies, for a
>    hopefully greater chance of success. However, this failed when it
>    reached the desktop-gnome dependency, saying what I understand to mean
>    "I'm trying to build desktop-gnome +x11 but I need gtk2 +x11 and you
>    have gtk2 +no_x11 instead."

Not necessary, hbci is working and needed here in Germany.

>    --->  Configuring gnome-desktop

That has not been built here so I assume it's a evince dependency.

If you have any further questions I'm glad to answer. Gnucash does run
here from the command line.

Gruß Olaf