ASSP out of date

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Wed Nov 5 21:33:25 PST 2008

On Nov 5, 2008, at 8:05 PM, Bryan Blackburn wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 07:08:17PM -0800, Scott Haneda said:
> [...]
>>
>> This is my first effort to make a port update file locally on my
>> machine,
>> so be gentle :)
>
> For a first Portfile, this is a bad choice, it does nearly all steps
> manually (configure, no build, and destroot are all there in the
> Portfile).

I think you are right, I should start from scratch.  A few questions
on policy of the ports:

I am only going to try to maintain this works on 10.4 and 10.5, with a
heavy lean on 10.5, I just do not have the ability to test pre 10.4,
and even 10.4 is going to be hit or miss.  Is this OK, or must I go
back further?  Do I simply add notes to mention this, or is there a
computability procedure?

I will write a launchd item to start it, which gets rid of the rc
scripts they use, what is ports policy on this.  You have to put
the .plist outside of the ports tree, which I think may be a no no.
This will also perhaps, make removal more challenging.

What determines what is removed when a user removes a port, is there a
file somewhere that does that as well?

Please direct me to the most up to date documentation on this process,
never done this before, but it should be interesting and ideally
valuable to at least me :)
--
Scott