ASSP out of date

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Wed Nov 5 23:42:21 PST 2008

On Nov 5, 2008, at 8:05 PM, Bryan Blackburn wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 07:08:17PM -0800, Scott Haneda said:
> [...]
>>
>> This is my first effort to make a port update file locally on my
>> machine,
>> so be gentle :)
>
> For a first Portfile, this is a bad choice, it does nearly all steps
> manually (configure, no build, and destroot are all there in the
> Portfile).

The docs seem to have me stuck at a bit of a "where to start" point.
Can someone explain, or show me relevant docs, on how you start a port
from scratch.

The docs jump right into Modeline, but I do not know the best place to
start with a file, what the directory layout should be etc.

Any tips on dev styles as well, for example, what about a case where
something takes a half hour to build, and every time you change a
path, or reference in the portfile, do you have to wait for each test
to complete, or are there some subtle tricks I am not aware of?

Thank you.
--
Scott