Chosing the C and C++ compilers

Akim Demaille akim at lrde.epita.fr
Thu Nov 6 06:50:40 PST 2008

Le 6 nov. 08 à 15:20, Anders F Björklund a écrit :

> Akim Demaille wrote:
>
>> Really, I just wish I had a simple means (= not by having to
>> specify it on each port command line) to specify CC and CXX.  Or
>> else, I would prefer that the hard coded values be fully qualified
>> (/usr/bin/i686-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1) instead of short (/usr/bin/
>> gcc-4.0).  In that case I have nothing special to do to use distcc
>> with macports.
>
> /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 works for more than one arch, though. If you do a
> fat build (with -arch ppc -arch i386) then it will call both of the
> arch-specific compilers in turn. Changing compiler from gcc-4.0 to
> i686-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1 would turn it into a single-arch build
> instead.

Ah, OK, didn't think about that, thanks!  Then in that case I suppose
that there are means to tell /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 what arch I'm aiming for
(686, ppc, or universal).  I suppose via something like -march.  In
which case, it's even better than using the fully qualified compiler: /
usr/bin/gcc-4.0 with the appropriate flags allows to build for the
three cases.

But apparently in the default mode it compiles for the build machine,
which is not what I need.  So I guess the question is rather: do I
have a means to tell /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 via macports.conf the set of
archs I want to compile for?