ASSP out of date

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sun Nov 9 01:57:42 PST 2008

On Nov 9, 2008, at 1:02 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> You don't need to install any ports; all ports' portfiles are
> already on your computer. Just go to the dports directory and grep
> through them. Portfiles are always in a directory for the port,
> which is in a directory for the group. So in the dports directory,
> "*/*/Portfile" gets all portfiles.

Cool, thanks, the more I learn about this whole ports system, the more
well thought out I think it is.  I think I lot of people are put off
by the whole /opt/local/ part of the path.  I get it, you want stuff
totally away from the Apple stuff, since they tend to have a nasty
habit of nuking stuff.

(And nice way of dealing with launchd, I was wondering about that,
seems like a solid plan)

What I do not get is how much support there is for apt-get and yet, in
my experience, mention darwin ports, or now, mac ports to a mac user,
and they cringe a little for some reason.

I am not entirely sure why, so far, in my experience, it is pretty
nice, there just need to be more ports is all.  Certainly beats the
mess of questions cpan asks of others, most of which I have no idea
how to answer.

Curious, why not just hide /opt/local so people do not get so strange
about it, then it is like any of the other binaries people use and
have no idea where they reside.  Or am I alone in that the circles I
travel in, people are a little weary of macports for some reason?

> For example, try:
>
> cd $(port dir MacPorts)/../.. && grep fs-traverse */*/Portfile

Thats one heck of a one liner :)
So fs-traverse seems to be a easy way to iterate a set of files, I
will play a little more with it later tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks again.
--
Scott