Apache configuration files

Chris Janton face at CentosPrime.COM
Mon Nov 10 05:32:12 PST 2008

I get "bit" by this occasionally.

Upgraded apache from 2.2.9 to 2.2.10

The configuration files in

	/opt/local/apache2/conf/extra/

were all replaced.

If I read the main httpd.conf file I see this...

# Supplemental configuration
#
# The configuration files in the conf/extra/ directory can be
# included to add extra features or to modify the default
configuration of
# the server, or you may simply copy their contents here and change as
# necessary.

These files can be quite complex, so actually copying the contents
into httpd.conf seems wrong.
If I want to use one of the extras, with modifications, where would be
the "expected"|"proper"|"reasonable" place to put the modifications?

It's no fun when the conf files get overwritten by an upgrade...

8)