render port is being replaced with xorg-renderproto port

Adam Dershowitz dersh at alum.mit.edu
Mon Nov 10 10:17:45 PST 2008

On Nov 10, 2008, at 1:14 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> This message is relevant to anyone using ports that until now
> depended on the render port:
>
> * cairo / cairo-devel
> * gthumb
> * gtk2
> * libgdiplus
> * rxvt-unicode
> * wine / wine-devel
> * xrender
>
> The render port has been replaced with the xorg-renderproto port.
> They are the same software; the latter is just a newer version. So
> we are removing the render port.
>
> If you use any of the above ports, you may find at your next update
> that MacPorts wants to install xorg-renderproto but that it
> conflicts with the render port:
>
> Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error: /opt/
> local/include/X11/extensions/render.h is being used by the active
> render port.  Please deactivate this port first, or use the -f flag
> to force the activation.
>
> What you should do if you get this message is forcibly uninstall the
> render port and then activate the xorg-renderproto port.
>
> sudo port -f uninstall render
> sudo port activate xorg-renderproto
>
> This is the ticket for these changes:
>
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/13493
>
> Sorry for the inconvenience!

In case anyone has the same problem that I did:
The above change also breaks cairo update.  I was trying to figure it
out, and then saw this message.  Just doing the change above change
fixes the problem.
In more detail:  I had cairo 1.8.0_0 and I did an upgrade to 1.8.2_0
that failed.  At the same time i was trying to upgrade xrender from
0.9.0_2 to 0.9.0_3.  I got the error Ryan mentioned above.  By
switching from render to xorg-renderproto, the rest of the upgrade
went fine.