LWP::Simple

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Nov 11 03:14:41 PST 2008

On Nov 11, 2008, at 03:42, Scott Haneda wrote:

> I am look at
> http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/perl/p5-libwww-perl/
> Portfile
>
> The CPAN page says that LWP::Simple is in it.
>
> Is there a LWP::Simple port, or is this ok to install, even though
> there are probably a million things I do not need in the p5-libwww-
> perl
>
> Wondering what the normal procedure is in these cases, where you
> need one thing, contained in another, and the other one has a bunch
> of stuff you do not need.

p5-libwww-perl does seem to contain LWP::Simple. LWP stands for
LibWww-Perl, so it makes sense that LWP::Simple would be a part of
the libwww-perl package. You could discover this yourself by
installing it (sudo port install p5-libwww-perl) and then looking at
its contents (port contents p5-libwww-perl).

Ideally, there would be a single port that installs a given piece of
software. That seems to be the case here. Install p5-libwww-perl,
even if you don't need its other parts.