ASSP out of date

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Nov 11 15:56:16 PST 2008

On Nov 11, 2008, at 17:48, Scott Haneda wrote:

> On Nov 11, 2008, at 3:10 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> Since ASSP doesn't have a configure script, if it were being run
>>> you'd see
>>> an error message about it; I'm guessing you're talking about the
>>> line
>>>
>>>   DEBUG: Executing org.macports.configure (assp)
>>>
>>> which is a bit misleading because once it does that, it does
>>> nothing else...
>>
>> Yes, but his port says "use_configure no" but then also has
>> "configure {...}" (with actual code in place of "..."). In this
>> case, since you did write a configure phase, you should not say
>> "use_configure no".
>
> That is how I felt as well, a few million emails ago, someone
> mentioned to add it, and I thought it was odd, but did just so I
> could move on.  I should have asked for clarification.

"use_configure no" is how you tell MacPorts that this software does
not have a configure script and you do not want to provide a custom
configure phase.

>> The change to the line endings was done before the patch phase,
>> because in the patch phase, those files needed to be patched, but
>> the patchfiles themselves used UNIX line endings. The files to be
>> patched needed to be changed to have the same line endings as the
>> patchfile.
>>
>> The patchfile could have been stored with DOS line endings, but
>> that would be weird on Mac OS X, and someone's editor might screw
>> it up when changing it in the future. Also not sure how the UNIX
>> command-line diff utilities fare with DOS line endings. Better to
>> use UNIX line endings; we're sure how that works.
>>
>> Since your new portfile doesn't do any patching, you may not need
>> to muck with the line ending of these files anymore. Not sure.
>
> I am torn on this issue.  The original port maintainer used it, but
> there is no contact address I can see.  I can not ask, so I am
> assuming he discovered some other reason why those line endings
> were needed to be changed.  I would like to delete that part, but
> ahhhh... what the hell, I will remove it, and simply test that all
> works out ok.
>
> It was good, I learned fs-traverse as well as a lot of other tcl
> stuff working on just that one issue.

It looks like the previous maintainer was rshaw. That would be Robert
Shaw, according to MacPortsDevelopers:

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/MacPortsDevelopers

You could try emailing rshaw at macports dot org.