BIND questions...

Jeff Justice listaccount at starionline.com
Wed Nov 12 11:22:09 PST 2008

I will ask the question here first since I used MacPorts to install
this.  I realize that this may be more of a question for the BIND
group, but here goes:

I recently decided to make the switch off of QuickDNS to BIND directly
on Leopard.  I installed BIND using MacPorts with no issues.  After
spending a day reading the BIND stuff and writing a config file, I
have BIND 9.5.0-P2 working flawlessly.

When MacPorts installed BIND, it placed the named.conf.dist file in /
opt/local/etc.  The actual working named.conf and rndc.conf files are
in this directory also.

However, in trying to get BIND to work, I found that the logs, stats
and other various files were written in /private/var/named/

Where as on the previous QuickDNS installation (using BIND), those
files were located in the same directory as the working named.conf file.

So, is there some sort of documentation that details where the files
in BIND are put or expected to be, and is it possible to keep them all
in the /opt/local/etc directory with the named.conf file?

Expiring minds want to know.

Jeff J.