BIND startup...

Jeff Justice listaccount at starionline.com
Wed Nov 12 12:25:04 PST 2008

Please forgive my newbiness about this, I am still learning the ins
and outs.

To start BIND, I used launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/
org.macports.bind9.plist

By doing this, I understand it creates a launchdaemon that keeps BIND
running.  However this appears to negate the use of the rndc commands
for starting and stopping the server as the launchdaemon keeps trying
to relaunch BIND after it is stopped with rndc.

So, if I want control over starting/stopping BIND, but I want it to
start on boot, what is the best way to accomplish this?  Is there a
way to configure the launchdaemon to not relaunch BIND if it is
stopped, but only on reboot?

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that I need a way to stop the
server while I work on it, but I do want the launchdaemon to keep BIND
alive if it should crash.

Jeff J.