Using p5-text-markdown

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Thu Nov 13 20:17:47 PST 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:03:51PM -0500, Tim Visher said:
> Sorry, I'm pretty new to perl CPAN type stuff.  I've used Markdown a
> lot through the Web Dingus and through Text Wrangler, but that man
> page doesn't really tell me how to use it from the command line as far
> as I can tell.

The p5-* ports are usually just modules so don't always install standalone
scripts (like p5-text-markdown).  So you'd either have to get one someplace
or write it; fortunately this one is pretty simple:

#!/opt/local/bin/perl
#
use Text::Markdown 'markdown';
open( TEXTFILE, "<$ARGV[ 0 ]" );
print markdown( join( '', <TEXTFILE> ) );
close( TEXTFILE );

Save that to a file (eg markdown.pl), chmod +x it, and it should work for
you.

Bryan