Symlinking Emacs.app to the $PATH

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Sat Nov 15 10:46:09 PST 2008

On Nov 14, 2008, at 6:30 PM, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> Here (10.4.11) "open" doesn't take arguments:
>
> prunille:~> open -a /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app -nw foo
> 2008-11-15 03:22:26.754 open[4228] No such file: /Users/vinc17/-nw

Well, I have not run 10.4 for a number of years now, but it certainly
works on 10.5, so get off the stick and upgrade already.  Leopard was
released over a year ago!

>> if you had used a shell function instead of an alias and passed the
>> args
>> through with $*  HTH
>
> No, do *not* use $* as arguments with spaces would be passed
> incorrectly
> with bash (and other POSIX shells):

No, DO use $*, just remember to quote it like you would any other
variable expansion involving filenames.  It's not like there's any
other useful way to pass arguments to an alias or shell function,
sheesh!

- Jordan