Installing OCTAVE 3.0.3

Robert Fong-tom rfongtom at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 12:53:17 PST 2008

Hi,
I tried to port Octave 3.0.3 and got the following errors. Any
thoughts on where to go from here?

Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error: /opt/local/
bin/a2p is being used by the active perl5.8 port.  Please deactivate
this port first, or use the -f flag to force the activation.
Warning: the following items did not execute (for perl5):
org.macports.activate
Error: The following dependencies failed to build: gnuplot gd2
autoconf help2man perl5 m4 automake libtool pdflib gsed hdf5 pcre
qhull texinfo lzmautils texlive texlive_base texi2html texlive_texmf-
full texlive_texmf-minimal

I am a neophyte so I don't really understand these errors. I should
add that I previously downloaded the binary of Octave from Source-
Forge (I think it was version 3.0.2) and it seem to run OK. But then
I tried to install the Image package from that site and it did not
work (functions were not available). So I tried to port Octave-Image
from macports and got errors. I decided to start over. I uninstalled
and cleaned the Octave-Image, and deleted the Octave binary that I
first downloaded. Then ported Octave 3.0.3 which gave me the above
error.

Bob