How to add tcl8.4.14

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Nov 15 16:31:01 PST 2008

On Nov 15, 2008, at 17:39, George Dowding wrote:

> I am trying to get ns-2 built and installed.  The current port is
> broken, so I am trying to bump everything up to the latest
> recommended version.  The catch is that the toolchain has a
> dependency on tcl/tk 8.4.14.  (actually the wording is that it
> *might* work with newer version.)  The current lang/tcl and x11/tk
> ports will install 8.5. Building went ok. I created lang/tcl8.4.14.
> Now, I need this to install without bashing the 8.5 version.  What
> is the best way to handle that?

It sounds like you're saying building ns-2 worked ok with tcl 8.5. If
so, do we really need a port for the 8.4 version? It can be a rather
involved process to patch a piece of software to make it install into
different places, and then to patch the software that wants to use it
to look for it in that new location. It might be easier (and would be
better) to fix ns-2 to work with tcl 8.5, if necessary.