Symlinking Emacs.app to the $PATH

Vincent Lefevre vincent-opdarw at vinc17.org
Tue Nov 18 09:22:56 PST 2008

On 2008-11-15 10:46:09 -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> No, DO use $*, just remember to quote it like you would any other
> variable expansion involving filenames.

I don't understand this answer. If $* is used, then there is no way
to make the difference between

  cmd a b

and

  cmd "a b"

because with $*, the shell has already split "a b" into two arguments.
On the other hand, if $* is quoted, i.e. "$*", then one gets a single
argument instead of several ones, and again, there is no way to make
the difference between

  cmd a b

and

  cmd "a b"

So, this is not correct either.

> It's not like there's any other useful way to pass arguments to an
> alias or shell function, sheesh!

As I said, shell functions usually use "$@" (with quotes) to get
arguments, as they *really* are.

--