Unable to install packages

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Nov 18 21:04:17 PST 2008

On Nov 18, 2008, at 23:00, Julio Lajara wrote:

> Hi everyone, Im new to using Macports and am having a few issues.
>
> I installed Xcode and setup my .profile for accessing port from the
> command line but Im unable to install any packages. It looks like
> it cant find some macport components to compile/configure packages
> but Im new to Mac in general and have no idea where to look to fix
> this. I tried to install emacs-app at first but after that failed I
> just tried a package with no dependencies and this is what I get:

> --------------------
> sudo port install ncursesw
> Password:
> --->  Configuring ncursesw
> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure:
> shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel
> _ncursesw/work/ncurses-5.7" && ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --
> enable-widec --disable-rpath --with-shared --without-debug --
> without-ada --enable-safe-sprintf --enable-sigwinch --mandir=/opt/
> local/share/man " returned error 1
> Command output: sh: line 0: cd: /opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel
> _ncursesw/work/ncurses-5.7: No such file or directory

Welcome to MacPorts!

Can you clean the port's work area and try again?

sudo port clean ncursesw
sudo port install ncursesw

If you still get the same error, does the indicated directory in fact
exist?

Try with debug information turned on, which should hopefully contain
the answer somewhere.

sudo port clean ncursesw
sudo port -d install ncursesw