Octave

Robert Fong-tom rfongtom at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 08:15:14 PST 2008

On Nov 22, 2008, at 10:09 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Nov 22, 2008, at 9:46 AM, Robert Fong-tom wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I recently ported Octave successfully but there are some things which
>> I don't understand. My understanding is that Aquaterm is a dependency
>> of octave and that it would be installed as a part of theh Octave
>> port. In fact, when I tried to port Octave the first time it failed
>> because I had Aquaterm installed previously. After deleting Aquaterm
>> (and all files relating to it) manually, the porting of Octave was
>> successful. However, I don't seem to be able to call Aquaterm. A
>> number of files relating to Aquaterm was ported along with Octave
>> however. Right now I am plotting via X11 but would like to switch to
>> plotting via Aquaterm since it produces better looking plots.
>> Bob
>
> in your .profile, .bashrc, .xinitrc or what ever shell startup
> script you are using, be sure that GNUTERM is set to "aqua"
>
> 	set GNUTERM=aqua
>
> Ben

I tried the following:

In .bashrc:
	export GNUTERM=aqua

and in .profile

	# Make aqua the default
	export GNUTERM=aqua

	##
	# Your previous /Users/robert/.profile file was backed up as /Users/
robert/.profile.macports-saved_2008-11-20_at_19:39:45
	##

	# MacPorts Installer addition on 2008-11-20_at_19:39:45: adding an
appropriate PATH variable for use with MacPorts.
	export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
	# Finished adapting your PATH environment variable for use with
MacPorts.

	# MacPorts Installer addition on 2008-11-20_at_19:39:45: adding an
appropriate DISPLAY variable for use with MacPorts.
	export DISPLAY=:0
	# Finished adapting your DISPLAY environment variable for use with
MacPorts.

When I try to plot in Octave I get the following message:

	Unknown or ambiguous terminal name 'aqua'

Then a long list of invalid gnuplot commands

Bob