Octave

Robert Fong-tom rfongtom at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 10:55:53 PST 2008

On Nov 22, 2008, at 11:42 AM, William Davis wrote:

> On Nov 22, 2008, at 11:15 AM, Robert Fong-tom wrote:

>>> in your .profile, .bashrc, .xinitrc or what ever shell startup
>>> script you are using, be sure that GNUTERM is set to "aqua"
>>>
>>> 	set GNUTERM=aqua
>>>
>>> Ben
>>>

>> I tried the following:
>>
>> In .bashrc:
>> 	export GNUTERM=aqua
>>
>> and in .profile
>>
>> 	# Make aqua the default
>> 	export GNUTERM=aqua
>>
>> 	##
>> 	# Your previous /Users/robert/.profile file was backed up as /
>> Users/robert/.profile.macports-saved_2008-11-20_at_19:39:45
>> 	##
>>
>> 	# MacPorts Installer addition on 2008-11-20_at_19:39:45: adding
>> an appropriate PATH variable for use with MacPorts.
>> 	export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
>> 	# Finished adapting your PATH environment variable for use with
>> MacPorts.
>>

>> 	# MacPorts Installer addition on 2008-11-20_at_19:39:45: adding
>> an appropriate DISPLAY variable for use with MacPorts.
>> 	export DISPLAY=:0
>> 	# Finished adapting your DISPLAY environment variable for use
>> with MacPorts.
>>
>> When I try to plot in Octave I get the following message:
>>
>> 	Unknown or ambiguous terminal name 'aqua'
>>
>> Then a long list of invalid gnuplot commands
>>
>> Bob
>
> Bob:
> Which version of Mac OS X are you using?  If it's 10.5.x then you
> should not have the line:
> export Display=:0
> in any of your startup files.  OS 10.5 sets the DISPLAY value
> itself to something like DISPLAY = /tmp/launch-l0g0wa/:0
> Also are you sure you downloaded the correct macports .dmg file for
> your operating system. There are different .dmgs for OS 10.3, 10.4,
> and 10.5 PPC/Intel.
>
> good luck
>

> William Davis
> frstanATbellsouthDOTnet
> Mac OS X.5.5 Darwin 9.5.0
> XQuartz 2.3.2_rc1 (xorg-server 1.4.2-apple23)
> Mac Mini Intel Duo @ 1.86 GHz
>
> Mundus vult decepi, ego non

As I said in a previous email I am running OS X 10.4.11 on a Intel
MacBook Pro. My GNUPLOT was not ported from MacPorts. I was
downloaded earlier (before porting Octave). It is one rev behind (ver
4.4 patchlevel 3) current level..

Since GNUPLOT is a dependence of Octave, should this matter that it
was not ported via MacPorts?

  If I port GNULOT now from MacPorts will it work automatically with
Octave?

  Or do I have to make some changes to the .profile and .bashrc file?