Octave

Robert Fong-tom rfongtom at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 18:47:55 PST 2008

On Nov 22, 2008, at 4:31 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Nov 22, 2008, at 15:08, Robert Fong-tom wrote:

>>> MacPorts is supposed to only use its own software (e.g. its own
>>> version of gnuplot), not any other version you might already have
>>> installed. See:
>>>
>>> http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#WhyisMacPortsusingitsownlibraries
>>>
>>> As you said, octave declares a dependency on gnuplot. Therefore,
>>> if you have installed octave with MacPorts, then the MacPorts
>>> version of gnuplot has already been installed for you. You can
>>> verify this by checking the list produced by typing:
>>>
>>> port installed
>>>
>>> I do not know what you have to do to get octave to use that
>>> version of gnuplot.
>>
>> Indeed when I type port installed it shows that I have gnuplot ver
>> 4.2.3! However when I type gnuplot from a terminal window it shows
>> gnuplot 4.2.2 and "Terninal type set to 'unknown'". I'll have to
>> research this further. Thanks
>
> If you type "which gnuplot" it should tell you which gnuplot is
> being run when you type "gnuplot". Or you could explicitly run the
> MacPorts gnuplot by typing "/opt/local/bin/gnuplot".

I confirmed this. I think my problem is that in the MacPorts version
of gnuplot the terminal type is set to 'unknown'. Do you know how to
set the environment of the MacPort's version? Normally the statement

export GNUPLOT=aqua or export GNUPLOT=x11

is placed in the .profile and .bashrc file but this isn't seem to be
working for me since I get the terminal type set to 'unknown' report
when I type /opt/local/bin/gnuplot. Oh! I just notices that when I
called gnuplot as in the previous statement I get

Unknown or ambigious terminal name 'aqua'

before the GNUPLOT preamble printout. Don't know what this means ...
do you?