Policy concerning ports that can update/install themselves

Emmanuel Hainry milosh at macports.org
Tue Nov 25 02:39:26 PST 2008

Dear all,

I am wondering what is our policy concerning programs that are able
either to auto update (many graphical programs have such a feature) and
programs that propose to install add-ons like py-setuptools,
rb-rubygems...

Those are able to write things inside ${prefix} and to put there files
that are not managed by Macports and hence may cause problems for
subsequent port installs/uninstall but also write things outside
${prefix}, including /usr/.

I ask this question because of one of texlive's new feature: a graphical
interface that manages the configuration but also gives the user the
ability to add packages. My choice would be to disable such an evil
feature as port is supposed to do the work, but I see that ports for
such feature in python and ruby exist...

Best,

Emmanuel