sudo port upgrade all

David Epstein David.Epstein at warwick.ac.uk
Thu Nov 27 02:17:30 PST 2008

I mistakenly did sudo port upgrade all, instead of sudo port upgrade
installed, and left my machine for 24 hours. It seems that a huge amount of
stuff was installed, which I now want to get rid of.

The first point I will make is that this has happened to other users before,
as one can see by searching the list for "port upgrade all", and port should
not allow this to happen without making sure that the reader knows what
he/she is doing. I was working with the default version of "sources.conf".
Please point me to a link specifying the procedure to be followed when
requesting an improvement to MacPorts. I wonder if anyone has time or
interest to provide this additional protection to naive users?

Secondly I would welcome some helpful suggestions about how to recover from
this situation. I want to identify the unnecessary installs, and uninstall
them. I don't want to use -f, for fear of damaging my existing installation.

Unless there is a way of detecting dates of installation using some feature
of "port", the most hopeful route for me seems to be to use Unix "find".
However, I don't understand the file structure of /opt/local well enough.
How can I construct a find command that will get me only new installs, with
only one hit per install? What I am talking about here is the fact that
there are many files associated with each install, and I don't want a
separate find hit for each of these files.

Assuming that I can construct a list of unwanted ports, I can uninstall
everything in the list, except that dependencies will prevent this. If I
pass uninstall commands repeatedly over the list, what happens when it hits
ports that have already been uninstalled? Or is there a better way. Again, I
don't want to use force.

Finally, does port uninstall (if successful) remove ALL the files associated
with an install, or is some debris left that needs to be further cleaned?

thanks for your help in my predicament.
David