sudo port upgrade installed

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sat Nov 29 10:44:01 PST 2008

Frank J. R. Hanstick wrote:
> Hello,
>     The uninstall is not a good idea because other modules depend on
> cyrus-sasl2 as indicated by the following:
>
> --->  Unable to uninstall cyrus-sasl2 2.1.21_0+kerberos, the following
> ports depend on it:
> --->    subversion
> --->    subversion
> Error: port uninstall failed: Please uninstall the ports that depend on
> cyrus-sasl2 first.

You have to force the uninstall with `sudo port -f uninstall cyrus-sasl2
2.1.21_0+kerberos` if you choose to uninstall rather than deactivate,
because it has dependents. Normally this would be a bad idea, but it's
OK since you'll be reinstalling it right away.

>     I did the deactivate and independent install which worked; but, the
> question remains as to why was cyrus-sasl reactivated before upgrading
> when deactivated before hand.
>     What I am referring to as a script is the procedure by which
> MacPorts upgrades ports which may not literally be a script; but, a
> script in the sense that a strict set of procedural steps are followed.
>     I notice in the upgrading process, that deactivation of an installed
> module occurs immediately after the building.  Could the deactivation be
> changed to the point where the needed upgrade is made, which I assume is
> before the build, and reactivated afterwards whether or not an upgraded
> installation occurred?  This seems like a simple change to the
> procedural steps by someone who knows the insides of MacPorts.

A change along those lines is probably possible, but I would not
characterise it as simple.

- Josh