sudo port upgrade installed

Neil neil at voidfx.net
Sat Nov 29 14:46:27 PST 2008

On 29 Nov 2008, at 16:46, Frank J. R. Hanstick wrote:

> I think preventing usage during an upgrade process would be far
> superior to using and having links severed during usage..

Okay, so I'm upgrading gcc43, going from 4.3.1 to 4.3.2 (current).
It's going to take 2 hours say.  You find it superior that MacPorts
should (somehow) stop me from using gcc 4.3.1 to perhaps write a
couple hello-world sized test cases while it's compiling gcc 4.3.2
instead of just compiling 4.3.2 elsewhere, and then swapping them out
when it's done?

Kindly permit me to draw you an analogy:  You want to buy a new car.
The search for a new car will take 3 weeks.  You find it superior that
I take away your current car while you're shopping for the new car,
instead of letting you use your current car up until you find a new
car, and then swapping them?

-N