sudo port upgrade installed

Frank J. R. Hanstick trog24 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 29 21:40:22 PST 2008

Hello,
	How does not starting anything until the upgrade is finished fail in
any manner?  I do not call waiting for something to finish before
starting something else a failure.  Personally, when I upgrade,
especially when the upgrade is an all encompassing upgrade, I do not
have anything running that could be effected by any module being
upgraded.  The only time I run multiple processes is when I know the
processes are not going to interact in some unpredictable way (unless
I am debugging interconnecting processes in which case I am quite
prepared for failures).  One process randomly linking and unlinking
modules used by other processes does not make for good predictability.
	Which leads to a second point.  It does not even have to be a gcc or
any other long period upgrade,  It could just as well be from a
library reference or some other required linkage that could be lost
at the wrong moment.  This is true even from very short time spans
between deactivation and activation since everything is running
asynchronously.  Trying to simultaneously run and upgrade modules
that interlink with each other (either running or being upgraded) is
just asking for trouble.
Frank