sudo port upgrade all

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sun Nov 30 05:41:30 PST 2008

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> Well, MacPorts is not FreeBSD. :) Certainly we should make it harder
> for people to run commands they don't mean to run in the first place.
> So instead of changing the meaning of "all", which most MacPorts
> users should already be familiar with, I would rather make it so that
> "port upgrade" exits with an error message if a port is not
> installed, rather than installing the port as it currently does.
> However I would still welcome feedback from anyone who knows why
> MacPorts currently does it the way it does it.

Has anyone opened a ticket for this?

Upgrade is a recursive procedure, and it needs to be able to install new
ports when new dependencies are added to installed ports. So that's why
it happily installs a port that isn't already installed when you tell it
to upgrade it.

I assume it's just that nobody ever got around to adding a check at the
top level to make sure that the initially requested ports are already
installed.

'port install all' and 'port install uninstalled' should also throw an
error, unless you give it an override flag like --yes-really-all.

- Josh