*_select's

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Nov 30 21:13:05 PST 2008

On Nov 30, 2008, at 14:42, Neil wrote:

> Yeah, basically.  Instead of having a "gcc_select" manage gcc
> symlinks, and a "python_select" manage python symlinks, we could
> have a "port_select" or "portver_select" or <name of choice>, and
> it would manage symlinks for everything with multiple versions.
> The main advantage is cutting down on redundant code, ensuring a
> consistent interface, and making it easier to have more select-able
> ports.

We already do not have redundant code; both gcc_select and
python_select use this code:

http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/contrib/select/

But it would cut down on the number of ports we have to maintain if
we just had a single "select"-style port. In light of Gentoo's
"eselect" I could suggest the name "mselect" or "mpselect". (Just
"select" might be too common a name and prone to conflict.)