Upgrading python25 -> python26

Bryan Blackburn 0x62_0x6c_0x62 at pobox.com
Fri Oct 3 11:48:57 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 03:38:36PM +0100, Uldis Bojars said:
> Python 2.6 is now released and a port for it is available on MacPorts.
>
> Could you tell me if there is any straightforward way to upgrade
> Python 2.5 and packages dependent on it
> (all installed using MacPorts) to the version 2.6?
>
> One could find all the packages that depend on py25, remove them,
> remove py25, install py26 and reinstall all the packages that were
> removed. But I am hoping there is an easier way.

Note that there are currently no py26- ports at all, so there's really
nothing to reinstall module-wise to use 2.6 as yet.

Since this would get messy fast (another group of modules duplicating py-
and py25-), jmr@'s ticket 16723 [1] will hopefully be the future, getting
rid of all the duplication.

Bryan

[1] - <http://trac.macports.org/ticket/16723>