Port for python26: batteries not included (or available)?

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sat Oct 4 17:43:23 PDT 2008

Brett Hoerner wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Rainer Müller <raimue at macports.org> wrote:
>> It's just too early to request py26-* ports.
>
> Sure, I agree.  Just to be clear I'm only inuquiring about the modules
> that come in the official Python tarball, not the hundreds / thousands
> of 3rd party modules.  I guess I don't understand the purpose of
> having a py*-bz2 (for example), why shouldn't python25 or python26
> just install Python + all the modules that come in the standard
> distribution?

Problems come in if you want to build python universal. Some of the
modules included by default (e.g. tkinter) lack 64-bit support or can't
be build universal for other reasons. So they have been removed and are
provided as separate ports.

See also ticket #12369 [1] which is requesting splitting the python
ports into a meta port depending on python-core and the default modules
to make this less transparent for end-users. But I think this approach
may cause some upgrade problems, as the dependency engine can't handle a
"replace" currently.

> For now that's what I've done locally (by making a local Port source
> and removing the module-disabled patch).

That's fine for python26 at the moment, but don't do it for python25.
You will run into problems if other ports require these "special" py25-*
ports.

> The unification does seem like a great idea, though.

Rainer

[1] <http://trac.macports.org/ticket/12369>

PS: Please remember to hit Reply All, so your mail goes to the list and
not only to me.