Port for python26: batteries not included (or available)?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Oct 5 19:03:11 PDT 2008

On Oct 5, 2008, at 14:18, Landon Fuller wrote:

> On Oct 4, 2008, at 7:35 AM, Rainer Müller wrote:
>
>> It's just too early to request py26-* ports. There is a pending patch
>> from jmr to unify the python module ports and reduce the mess we
>> created
>> with py-* and py25-*.
>>
>> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/16723
>>
>> Before we go on creating py26-* ports this patch should be
>> considered.
>
> Won't the use of variants to select between 2.4, 2.5, and 3.0 in the
> same port result in an inability to install the same Python module for
> more than one version of Python?

The description of the above ticket says:

"Here is a portgroup that should be able to replace the current
python25 and python24 groups, and can install for any combination of
the available python versions at once via variants."

So it sounds like e.g. the +python24 and +python25 variants would not
conflict with one another, would not be mutually exclusive.