There is no release manager! There is no release manager!

paul beard paulbeard at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 19:36:13 PDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 7:00 AM, <macports-users-request at lists.macosforge.org
> wrote:

> On Oct 6, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>
> > On Oct 6, 2008, at 1:41 PM, William Davis wrote:
> >> Pardon me for speaking frankly but! "to solve this problem
> >> permanently" will take an updated version of port with the bug fix in
> >> place. This situation has gone on for many months now and I can NOT
> >> understand why version 1.61 of port has not been released fixing this
> >> path problem.
> >

> > You volunteering to be the new release manager? ;-)
>
> Maybe some folks have not [there is no release manager!] gotten the
> ideal firmly in their heads [there is no release manager!] yet that
> there is, in fact, NO RELEASE MANAGER for MacPorts right now?
>
> Perhaps we should send out some sort of announcement calling formally
> for volunteers for the position?
>
> I dunno, perhaps that seems superfluous, but I'll still bet that there
> are a couple of people out there laboring under the misapprehension
> that there is, in fact, a release manager for MacPorts (there isn't!).

FAIL.
There has been a release manager and portmgr@ team for quite some time and
this bug lingers, festers even.

If this is part of a strategy of annoying users to the point where they sign
up to be release manager just so it gets done, I'm not sure it will work.
Civilians like me have no idea what the actual steps are to get a release
cut, even one so trivial as the bug fix for 1.6. If the guys who were doing
it had a hard time with it, what would make someone who isn't an active port
maintainer think they could do it?

Absent a release manager or team, what would it take to get a release
schedule (quarterly? monthly?) and/or a roadmap? Not sure it makes a lot of
sense to fret about a release manager if we don't really know what a release
is or why we need one. A roadmap/set of benchmarks/goals would help and from
there a release calendar could be derived.

If you do really want volunteers, why not provide some insight into what's
involved and how it works? Are there tools? Is there a process? Bueller?

--
Paul Beard / www.paulbeard.org/
<paulbeard.org>