ruby - pg

Darren Weber darren.weber.lists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 13:18:16 PDT 2008

Hi Tom,

I'm playing around with the postgresql83 port (it's not my port, but I
want to tweak a few things for it, so I have a copy of it in my
private port repository).  For postgresql 8.3.4, there is no build
configure option to enable ruby (as there is for perl, python, tcl),
but there is a port called rb-plruby that might provide ruby support
within postgres.

I'm not familiar with the port for 'ruby' or the port for
'rb-rubygems' and the operation of gems on OSX.  I've done a quick
google search and found this:

http://people.planetpostgresql.org/jdavis/index.php?/archives/5-ruby-pg-is-now-the-official-postgres-ruby-gem.html

Indications from the page linked above are that this problem requires
a variant for the ruby port or something, as the postgresql connection
might be a build option for ruby (not vice-versa - but see rb-plruby).
 So, I suggest you contact the ruby port maintainers and see if you
can get a variant on the ruby port.

If that might depend on something in postgresql83, then I might be
able to help with that side of things.

Best, Darren

PS, If you want to see what happens to any port, try: port edit <portname>

PPS, The rb-postgres port uses the ruby portgroup for config, see
http://guide.macports.org/chunked/reference.portgroup.html