php5 on OSX10.5.5

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Oct 13 12:12:35 PDT 2008

On Oct 13, 2008, at 12:54, Mark Hattam wrote:

> At 07:48 -0700 13/10/08, Chris Janton wrote:
>
>> On 2008-10-13 , at 03:01 , Mark Hattam wrote:
>>
>>> What's broken with php5 and 10.5.5 ... ?
>>>
>>> I've just set up php5, mysql5 and apache2 on a brand new iMac with
>>> 10.5.5, and I'm getting a lot of errors in the Apache log
>>>
>>> The process has forked and you cannot use this CoreFoundation
>>> functionality safely. You MUST exec().
>>> Break on
>>> __THE_PROCESS_HAS_FORKED_AND_YOU_CANNOT_USE_THIS_COREFOUNDATION_FUNC
>>> TIONALITY___YOU_MUST_EXEC__
>>> ()
>>> to debug.
>>> [Mon Oct 13 10:26:43 2008] [notice] child pid 157 exit signal
>>> Trace/BPT trap (5)
>>> [Mon Oct 13 10:26:45 2008] [notice] child pid 198 exit signal
>>> Trace/BPT trap (5)
>>>

>>> It only happens on some of my webpages, perhaps implicating Freetype
>>> or some other font drawing part of php5.
>>
>> in the list archives
>>

>> 	http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2008-July/
>> thread.html
>>
>> you can find a discussion of imagettftext and/or freetype
>>
>> potential solutions are listed there.
>
> Ah OK. I see the post from Bill
> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2008-July/
> 010921.html
>
> But that was back in July ... and your own comment was that it'll
> only work until you do a port sync or port update ... which isn't
> really much of a long term solution.
>
> Why isn't this fix been incorporated into the MacPorts portfile for
> Freetype?

As I said in

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/15909

"Someone just please tell me what to change and why. This ticket says
to remove --with-old-mac-fonts and add --with-fsspec=no --with-
fsref=no --with-quickdraw-toolbox=no --with-quickdraw-carbon=no.
#16341 says I only need to add --with-quickdraw-toolbox=no --with-
quickdraw-carbon=no. If someone could tell me definitively what
configure options to add or remove, and what the implications of each
change are, then I can commit something."

For example, the implication of removing --with-old-mac-fonts is
presumably that I can't use old Mac fonts anymore. This would
conflict with the reason that option was added in the first place (a
user wanted to use old Mac fonts). The compromise could be to keep
that option on Tiger and earlier and remove it for Leopard and later.

What about the other proposed configure option changes? What
functionality will be affected by the changes? What will I no longer
be able to do with FreeType if I use --with-quickdraw-toolbox=no,
etc.? Should those changes also be restricted to Leopard and above?