macports and Xcode

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Oct 14 07:55:44 PDT 2008

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> There would be multiple possible solutions:
>>
>>  a) Add a "linux" platform to the default sections
>>     Means selecting a specific gcc version (I wanted to add a
>>     configuration value to macports.conf anyway, would allow to
>>     overwrite it). Would only fix Linux and not other platforms
>>     like *BSD.
>>
>>  b) Fallback to gcc in /usr/bin/gcc
>>     Just assume there is a working gcc in /usr/bin/gcc
>> (respectivley for
>>     the other tools) if there is no default for the current platform
>>
>>  c) Fallback to gcc in PATH
>>     Don't use any hardcoded paths, assume gcc is available
>> somewhere on
>>     this machine and accessible through PATH.
>>
>>  d) Fallback to cc in PATH
>>     Don't assume every machine provides gcc and use cc from PATH
>>     (e.g. *BSD machines with pcc or Solaris with Sun CC).
>>     I am not sure if this option will work well, ports may use gcc
>>     specific options.
>>

>> I would prefer c), but I am asking to confirm that I will not be
>> breaking something again :-)
>

> The problem is only when configure.compiler is blank, right? That can
> only happen on non-Mac platforms, since on Mac OS X we set
> configure.compiler to something based on the Mac OS X version. I
> would add a case to the switch statement to allow configure.compiler
> to be blank, and in that case, I would say we should do what you
> propose in b) or c).

Exactly, we have defaults for configure.compiler on Mac OS X but not for
other platforms. And we also don't have a fallback if there is no
default defined for the current platform.

> Maybe "port lint" also needs to check for valid configure.compiler
> values.

In my opinion, port lint should only check syntax and format of a
Portfile and not the values. If we add a check for specific options, we
begin to double the places where the values are kept. I don't think this
is feasible

Rainer