texlive_base failed to build

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Oct 18 02:24:52 PDT 2008

On Oct 18, 2008, at 04:13, Frank J. R. Hanstick wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2008, at 1:05 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> 	The path structure points to /opt/local/bin first instead of /usr/
>>> bin; therefore, I pickup the gcc_select in /opt/local/bin gcc_select
>>> which is what I want so long as I do not hit -obj/C++.  I had read
>>> somewhere that MacPort always used /usr/bin/gcc and bypassed
>>> gcc_select.  I gather that this is not true.
>>
>> MacPorts causes Apple's GCC to always be used by setting the CC
>> variable. If the port ignores the CC variable, as some part of
>> texlive_base appears to, then MacPorts cannot guarantee what GCC
>> will be used. This would appear to be a bug in texlive_base which
>> would be best reported to its authors. Or if you can work out a
>> patch to fix it, we can apply the patch in the port, and then
>> report it to the authors of the software.
>
> 	I reconfigured my system to point to gcc-4.0.1 and successfully
> got through texlive.  The installation was completed successfully.
>
> 	In going through the sequence I passed you, I noticed the very
> first error line was:
>
> Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd "/opt/
> local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_tex_t
> exlive_base/work/texlive_base-2007" && make all " returned error 2

That is how MacPorts tells you an error occurred. The lines below
that come from the software being installed and tell you what error
occurred.

> Since I do not have verbage before this point, I wonder what in gcc-
> mp-4.3.2 would cause this error.  The build did continue after this
> error in any case.  Even then, there were several compilations
> prior to the gcc -OBjC++ call (xetexini.c, xetex0.c, xetex1.c,
> xetex2.c, xetexextra.c, xetexdir/trans.c, xetexdir/XeTeX_ext.c, and
> xetexdir/XeTeX_mac.c) that used /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 as advertised.  It
> was only when it came time to compile xetexdir/XeTeXFontMgr_Mac.mm
> that the non prefixed gcc  was called instead of the prefixed /usr/
> bin/gcc-4.0.  This sounds like a make file error which could have
> resulted from running configure.  Can I assume that in your port,
> you use the configure supplied by the authors to create the make
> files?

The texlive_base port does use the configure script provided with the
software. You can run "sudo port clean texlive_base" followed by
"sudo port -d install texlive_base" to see that and all other
commands that get run, if you like.