how to build gimp +quartz?

David Evans devans at macports.org
Sun Oct 19 13:07:52 PDT 2008

Olaf Foellinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> today I've tried to build
>
> $ sudo port install gimp-app +quartz
>
> on a relative freshly installed macports. Before I've installed the x11
> version of gnucash.
>
> Macports has installed the x11 version of gimp to. What do I have to do
> to install the quartz version? My next target would be the quartz
> version of gnucash which should be possible according to
>
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSX/Quartz
>
> Gruß Olaf

I'm not sure that anyone has succeeded doing this with version 2.6.1
yet.  Even the
official GIMP On MacOSX prebuilt version is X11.

The general idea is that you have to rebuild gtk2 and its dependencies
with +quartz or +no_x11 as is the case
by looking at each port and then rebuild gimp using these as the
dependencies.

This will break a lot of things that expect x11 support in other apps so
you probably would
want to do this using a separate MacPorts installation just for this
purpose.

Another approach is to build separate copies of the underlying
dependencies using Imendio's
system for building GTK in native mode.  A description of how to go
about this can be found
on the gimp.org wiki (Wilber's Wiki)  here

http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/HowToCompileGimp/MacOSX

Hope this helps and if you have any success or run into specific
problems please let us know.