macports stages - how to stop server processes?

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Tue Oct 21 11:52:48 PDT 2008

On Oct 21, 2008, at 1:33 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> The feature uses launchctl, not apachectl, pcastctl or any other.
> The arguments to launchctl that we use are load and unload, so
> that's what the arguments to the port command were called as well.
>
> We could discuss changing load/unload to start/stop and adding a
> restart command. It was just never brought up before.

OK, I was somehow under the impression that this was trying to
impedance-match the "service start" interfaces, not simply an alias
for launchctl (though, that said, I think "load" in combination with -
w is something of a misnomer in launchctl since it is doing far more
than "loading" the plist, it is also enabling it and making it
persistent, in effect "starting" it permanently).   I withdraw my
objection!

Thanks,

- Jordan