Can't map the URL 'file://.' to a port description file

Marcus Bointon marcus at synchromedia.co.uk
Fri Oct 24 06:42:19 PDT 2008

I know this question has been asked before, but I've not found an
answer yet. I'm running MacPorts 1.6 on leopard. I'm using zsh, so the
postflight didn't tweak my shell. I've done that myself and both PATH
and MANPATH are correctly set in the env. They are also set correctly
in root's shell for when I sudo.

`sudo port selfupdate` works, as does `sudo port install xyz`, but
`sudo port upgrade outdated` does not:

<stuff omitted>
DEBUG: Found port in file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/net/wget
DEBUG: Found port in file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/archivers/zlib
DEBUG: Changing to port directory: /Users/marcus/Sites/smartmessages/
includes
Can't map the URL 'file://.' to a port description file ("Could not
find Portfile in /Users/marcus").
Please verify that the directory and portfile syntax are correct.
To use the current port, you must be in a port's directory.
(you might also see this message if a pseudo-port such as
outdated or installed expands to no ports).
Error: No port  found.

I don't see why it should be looking in the current dir to upgrade
outdated packages anyway, and it's obviously not having any trouble
finding the portfiles in the normal install location. Is it that
'outdated' resolves to ''?

What do I need to tweak?

Thanks,

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
UK resellers of info at hand CRM solutions