mono-addins and pango

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Oct 31 17:03:02 PDT 2008

On Oct 31, 2008, at 17:29, Bart Masschelein wrote:

>>> --->  Activating pango 1.22.2_0
>>> Error: Activating pango 1.22.2_0 failed: Image error: Another
>>> version of this port (pango @1.22.0_0) is already active.

>>> The second error is more weird. After using your commands (sudo
>>> port clean pango; sudo port -d install pango 2>&1 | tee ~/Desktop/
>>> pango.txt; bzip2 ~/Desktop/pango.txt ), it went through, but it
>>> was not able to activate. It should automatically desactivate the
>>> old and install the new one, no?
>>
>> No, since you used "install". If you had used "upgrade" instead,
>> it would have done so. So now you should:
>
> Is this actually true, or is it a typo, a slip of mind? The answer
> might be interesting. Because it is actually the opposite: I used
> upgrade, and you told me to use install. What is in fact the
> difference between install of an existing port, or upgrading it?
> Maybe install uses the existing ports on which it depends, while
> upgrade tries to upgrade the dependencies as well?

"install" installs a port. If another version of that port is already
installed, then you get the error you showed.

"upgrade" upgrades a port and, if necessary, its dependencies first.
Another version of that port must already be installed, and it will
be deactivated before the new version is activated.

I told you to use "install" because I did not know you already had
another version of pango installed. Since you did, it would have been
more straightforward to use "upgrade" in your case.