CMake 2.6

cssdev at mac.com cssdev at mac.com
Thu Sep 4 11:18:06 PDT 2008

On Thursday, September 04, 2008, at 09:50AM, "Rainer Müller" <raimue at macports.org> wrote:
>Jean-Charles VERDIE (Pleyo) wrote:
>> I'm using CMake 2.6 on OSX from MacPorts.
>> When using the env. variable CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX, it is hard coded to
>> "/usr/local" on UNIX systems and we fall in this category.
>> It does not make sense in my opinion since MacPort roots to /opt/local.
>> What's the opinion on this?
>
>If using cmake outside of MacPorts you could accidentally write files to
>/opt/local which are out of control of MacPorts. I think /usr/local is a
>more reasonable default. Ports using cmake can still overwrite it in the
> Portfile.

I lean toward leaving the sources unpatched, as it's possible to directly specify an alternate CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX destination on the command line using "cmake -D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/my/path". The alternative is to check for CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX_INITIALIZED_TO_DEFAULT in CMakeLists.txt:

http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2006-October/011427.html
http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2006-October/011559.html

-Chris