Another getting started thread

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Sep 15 00:36:44 PDT 2008

On Sep 14, 2008, at 23:07, David I wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 10:10 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Sep 14, 2008, at 1:37 PM, David I wrote:
>>
>>> I try to install rrgbis and it works fine, but then I get this:
>>>
>>> ld: cycle in dylib re-exports with /usr/X11/lib/libGL.dylib

[snip]

>> That does sound like one of the usual Leopard issues, however I
>> have no
>> problem installing rrgbis on Mac OS X 10.5.4 PowerPC with Xcode
>> 3.1 and
>> MacPorts built from trunk. Is your OS and Xcode up to date? Is it
>> really the
>> rrgbis port that's issuing this error message, or is it one of
>> rrgbis'
>> dependencies? You snipped the part of the output that would have
>> told us.
>> Still, all of its dependencies clearly also built for me on
>> Leopard so I'm
>> not really sure what's wrong. Are you using Apple's X11 (I am) or
>> Xquartz?
>
> Since I've never heard of Xquartz, I think it's safe to say I'm
> using X11.
> I'm on an Intel macbook, just got it two weeks ago, it's the
> midrange one.
> While looking up my Xcode vesion, I noticed a program called Quartz
> composer.  Ran a search for Xquartz.  Xcode is v. 3.0.  Let's see what
> updating it does...
> 5 Minutes later:  There doesn't appear to be an Xcode 3.1.  On apple's
> site it says Xcode 3.

I'm not sure what particular page on Apple's site you're looking at,
but Apple does have a habit of dropping the last number from versions
in advertising material. So they call Leopard "Mac OS X
10.5" (covering the entire 10.5.x range), and Xcode for Leopard is
"Xcode 3" (covering the entire 3.x range). The current version of
Xcode for Leopard is 3.1.1 (I hadn't noticed the update past 3.1
until just now; 3.1.1 was released September 12, 2008). It's
available here:

http://developer.apple.com/technology/xcode.html

> [...]
> but not used
> ar rc ../lib/libsqstdlib.a *.o
> rm *.o
> cd src/FTGL; make
> make  all-recursive
> Making all in src
> /bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CXX   --mode=link g++
> -I/usr/X11/include/freetype2 -I/usr/X11/include   -no-undefined
> -version-number 2:1:3  -o libftgl.la -rpath /opt/local/lib
> libftgl_la-FTBuffer.lo libftgl_la-FTCharmap.lo libftgl_la-FTContour.lo
> libftgl_la-FTFace.lo libftgl_la-FTGlyphContainer.lo
> libftgl_la-FTLibrary.lo libftgl_la-FTPoint.lo libftgl_la-FTSize.lo
> libftgl_la-FTVectoriser.lo libftgl_la-FTGlyph.lo
> libftgl_la-FTGlyphGlue.lo libftgl_la-FTBitmapGlyph.lo
> libftgl_la-FTBufferGlyph.lo libftgl_la-FTExtrudeGlyph.lo
> libftgl_la-FTOutlineGlyph.lo libftgl_la-FTPixmapGlyph.lo
> libftgl_la-FTPolygonGlyph.lo libftgl_la-FTTextureGlyph.lo
> libftgl_la-FTFont.lo libftgl_la-FTFontGlue.lo
> libftgl_la-FTBitmapFont.lo libftgl_la-FTBufferFont.lo
> libftgl_la-FTExtrudeFont.lo libftgl_la-FTOutlineFont.lo
> libftgl_la-FTPixmapFont.lo libftgl_la-FTPolygonFont.lo
> libftgl_la-FTTextureFont.lo  libftgl_la-FTLayout.lo
> libftgl_la-FTLayoutGlue.lo libftgl_la-FTSimpleLayout.lo
> -L/usr/X11/lib -lfreetype -lz
> -Wl,-framework,CoreServices,-framework,ApplicationServices -Xlinker
> -framework -Xlinker OpenGL
> g++ -dynamiclib  -o .libs/libftgl.2.1.3.dylib
> .libs/libftgl_la-FTBuffer.o .libs/libftgl_la-FTCharmap.o
> .libs/libftgl_la-FTContour.o .libs/libftgl_la-FTFace.o
> .libs/libftgl_la-FTGlyphContainer.o .libs/libftgl_la-FTLibrary.o
> .libs/libftgl_la-FTPoint.o .libs/libftgl_la-FTSize.o
> .libs/libftgl_la-FTVectoriser.o .libs/libftgl_la-FTGlyph.o
> .libs/libftgl_la-FTGlyphGlue.o .libs/libftgl_la-FTBitmapGlyph.o
> .libs/libftgl_la-FTBufferGlyph.o .libs/libftgl_la-FTExtrudeGlyph.o
> .libs/libftgl_la-FTOutlineGlyph.o .libs/libftgl_la-FTPixmapGlyph.o
> .libs/libftgl_la-FTPolygonGlyph.o .libs/libftgl_la-FTTextureGlyph.o
> .libs/libftgl_la-FTFont.o .libs/libftgl_la-FTFontGlue.o
> .libs/libftgl_la-FTBitmapFont.o .libs/libftgl_la-FTBufferFont.o
> .libs/libftgl_la-FTExtrudeFont.o .libs/libftgl_la-FTOutlineFont.o
> .libs/libftgl_la-FTPixmapFont.o .libs/libftgl_la-FTPolygonFont.o
> .libs/libftgl_la-FTTextureFont.o .libs/libftgl_la-FTLayout.o
> .libs/libftgl_la-FTLayoutGlue.o .libs/libftgl_la-FTSimpleLayout.o
> -L/usr/X11/lib /usr/X11/lib/libfreetype.dylib -lz  -Wl,-framework
> -Wl,CoreServices -Wl,-framework -Wl,ApplicationServices -Wl,-framework
> -Wl,OpenGL -install_name  /opt/local/lib/libftgl.2.dylib
> -compatibility_version 4 -current_version 4.3 -Wl,-single_module
> ld: cycle in dylib re-exports with /usr/X11/lib/libGL.dylib
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[3]: *** [libftgl.la] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> make: *** [ftgl] Error 2

> The funny thing is, I already have all of the REQ's installed because

Ok, since the error occurs after "Building rrgbis with target
default" it is the rrgbis port that's having the problem. I was just
unsure because it said "make: *** [ftgl] Error 2" and we do have a
separate ftgl port in MacPorts (though rrgbis doesn't seem to use it).

I'm a little concerned that it's trying to link with /usr/X11/lib/
libfreetype.dylib on your system. On mine it links with the freetype
in MacPorts. I assume you didn't have the freetype port installed? I
added a dependency on freetype [1] which should fix that. But I still
can't explain why you were seeing the libGL error and I'm not (even
if I deactivate MacPorts freetype and rebuild). Please wait 30
minutes for the rsync server to catch up, and then try building it
again. Maybe it will work now.

[1] http://trac.macports.org/changeset/39980