building gnucash

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Tue Sep 23 11:49:29 PDT 2008

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Sep 22, 2008, at 6:22 PM, Robert Goldman wrote:
>
>> I was trying to 'port install gnucash' the other day, and the building
>> process failed on some dependencies.
>
> If you show us exactly what error occurred we may be able to help you
> diagnose it! :)

Thanks.  What I really wanted to know was whether somehow I had messed
things up resulting in spurious (and failed) dependencies.  Learning
that it wasn't a mess up, I managed to grind through all of the
dependencies and get gnucash to build (and then kill the ffi that caused
it to fail to run, per earlier correspondence on this list).

So the good news is that I don't have an error anymore!  ;-)

>> What surprised me was the sheer
>> scale of the set of dependencies.  For example, one of the listed failed
>> dependencies was 'nautilus'.  Isn't this a GNOME file manager GUI?  I
>> can't see why gnucash would require nautilus installation.  So I'm
>> wondering if somehow I've gotten macports misconfigured, or if there's
>> some way to build a more minimal gnucash version.
>
> I don't think you have any misconfiguration. As was said, gnucash has
> lots of dependencies -- so many that my port dependency graph maker just
> draws a jumble, which you can view here for your undoubtedly great
> amusement:
>
> http://www.ryandesign.com/tmp/gnucash.png (1.2MB)
>
> "port variants gnucash" explains that there are some variants which may
> help a bit: without_quotes, without_hbci, without_ofx, each of which
> deletes some of the dependencies (at the expense of some feature).

I was going to do this, but frankly didn't know what hbci, quotes and
ofx are, so I just installed the whole mess!

Best,