C compiler cannot create executables

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Sep 26 01:45:49 PDT 2008

Please remember to Reply All so your reply goes to the list too, not
just to me.

On Sep 26, 2008, at 03:42, Otto Roberson Bertsch wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> It sounds like you may have a directory in /usr/local whose name
>> begins with "include" and then a space, e.g. "include 1". It may
>> be similar to this FAQ entry:
>>
>> http://trac.macports.org/wiki/
>> ProblemHotlist#Aportfailedtobuildwithamessagereferringto1lib:Nosuchfi
>> leordirectory
>>
>> You should remove any such directory.
>>
>> Also note it's not supported to have things in /usr/local/
>> {bin,include,lib,...} while using MacPorts.
>
> Actually it's worse than that -
>
> I just looked and usr/local is not a directory. Instead I have a 13
> Mb plain text file named local!

That's pretty strange! :) I would remove that file then, assuming its
contents is nothing you need.

> Sounds like I need to uninstall & reinstall MacPorts??

Since you haven't even gotten through the MacPorts configure script,
nothing has been installed yet. Just run configure again with the
options you want (usually at least --enable-readline), make, and then
sudo make install.